Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Aperture and Background Blur


        Along with many things, I really like taking macro, or up close, detail shots.  Something that I love most about them is how the object is so sharp and the background is blurred away creating a crisp look.  I have found it easy to create this effect with macro shots, but was becoming very frustrated not being able to get this same effect in my portrait shots.  I tried every setting imaginable on my camera and still couldn't get background blur in my larger shots.


    So, after much reading and research I have figured it out...or at least I hope so.  This is going to get technical for a bit, but I'll try to keep the boring stuff short.  Basically the exposure of a picture is controlled by two variables.  The shutter speed and the aperture of the lens.  To create the background blur on a more micro shot the aperture has to be on a lower setting.  What does this mean for me? My lens does not got down to a low enough setting to create this effect. = BUMMER! The good news is I found the lens that I would need, but that is a purchase that I will put on hold for a while.  Maybe Christmas? Oh well, it will be fine without it. I was just relieved to know that it wasn't just me.
  

No comments: